- spoken by 414 million people as their native language
- spoken by 550 million if you add those who speak it as a 2nd language
- studied by 20 million as a foreign language
- the most popular second language learned by native speakers of American English
- the most widely understood language in the Western Hemisphere
- basically equated with the Roman Catholic faith
Hispanic religion is a way of life centered around family, values, rituals, and people. Hispanic immigrants are flowing into our nation and they are transforming American religion. While Hispanic religion used to mean the classic Catholic religion, statistics show that they tend to follow the charismatic and renewal movements. Actually, the majority see themselves as charismatics, compared to only 1/8 of non-Hispanic Catholics. Hispanic faith, practices, and views are influencing traditional Catholicism in our nation.
For more details, see article.